Friday, March 14, 2008

Photos and Vocab.....

This is a photo of the front of our home. I keep forgetting that most of you that read this haven't been here so I thought I would give some insight...we live in a very small villiage...only one street. We really like it here...great neighbors, very safe, and very close to Oundle...next town over...only about a 1 minute drive.
This is located at the end of our street. We also have a bus stop that is used my many in the village. A double decker bus comes around several times a day to pick up and drop off. Yes...people do use this...I still can't figure out why.

Our post box. They don't take your mail at your home...only deliver. We walk down to the post to mail our letters and such.
I thought life here was going to be so easy because they speak English....think again!!! When they talk fast....I don't have a clue. The ISE's here have gotten a list of words together that are commonly used, but they are not our words...I will share a few with you each post for awhile. I am getting used to those words now, but I would just stand and stare at the beginning. The phrase that mixed me up most is...Are you alright??? I was like....yea, I am fine...I couldn't figure out why everyone thought something was wrong with me. OK....it basically means...hi...how are you...not is everything ok.
More vocab....
bangers-sausages
bin-garbage can
biscuits-cookies
bloke-guy
bonnet of car-hood
boot of car-trunk
canteen-school lunch room
cellotape-scotch tape
cheeky-naughty
cheers-thanks
chemist-pharmacy
chips-french fries
chuck-throw
coach-bus
cooker-over
cot-crib
cotton buds-q tips
crisps-potato chips
These are only a few of the many more to come....

2 comments:

Holli said...

I totally for got about the whole you alright? i was like that to but at least I could answer honestly....:) You have to tell them about how crazy you are and all! Andy wants to know if your hubby and him can be dance partners next dance off?:)

frenchy919 said...

Bonjour! Congratulations to your family on the baby news! Your blog is fun to read - but what do YOU do all day? Sara Kertz