Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Joy Of Giving Birth.....

Ian had a field trip today at his school. We went to a sheep farm. We had a GREAT time. We got to see a couple of baby lambs being born. It was so cool. I thought that Ian would get sick with all the blood and mucus, but he was fine. The top photo is the lambs that are pictured below after being cleaned by their moms. She has one, starts cleaning that one, has another one, and continues to clean the first one. After the first one is clean she moves to the second one and starts to clean. All the while she makes eye contact with the first one and makes a sound(sheep talk) for the first one to come to her and nurse. That encourages it to stand on its own!! It does and than she does that with the second one. After she cleans them they look so cute!! The are so white and wooly...it makes you want to just hug it!! Anyway, it was amazing to say the least...it was a wonderful experience that we will remember for a long while.
See all the mucus and blood. It didn't even make it gag...he gags at anything. He asked if that was what it was like when he was born. I only wish I would have popped him out in some hay and went on about my day. I wonder if sheep get post depression after giving birth??? I will go back next week and see if any of them is crying, complaining of sleepless night, sore nipples, etc...I think we are probably the only ones that do the complaining.

Isn't he sooo cute!!!!


4 comments:

Mrs. Gonnella's 3rd Grade Class said...

I called Olivia over to look at the cute lambs...I guess I should have looked at the others first! Thanks for the questions I am getting right now. I just got caught up on you. I am in such a bubble, I forgot about what happened with your mom. My mom had a massive heart attack last June and you are completely right...take each day as a gift.

Stacey said...

So sweet with the lambs!! It really is a miracle. Do animals just have a higher pain tolerance than us humans?? Stacey

Holli said...

oh to be a sheep... I wish I could lick my new born clean.....:)
Really that is so cool did you and amy great to be twins with your boots?

Amy said...

It really was a nice time ... and giving birth is definitely a miracle, but you must admit that the sight of the actual delivery was quite disgusting and nauseating! At least no one passed out on the field trip... ;o)