Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Happy Anniversary to You.....

I looked at the date and just realized that today is my parents anniversary!! They have been married for 48 years today...50 is just around the corner. I wish I had some old photos of them to post, but I left those in the states. I will go over some background though.....

They met on a blind date at Club Peoria...which when on to be a gay dance club before buring down....

My mom was working as a nanny and my dad had come up from Tennessee to stay with his sister and her husband...

They got set up by the people my mom worked for...my dad was on his bowling team...

When my mom first saw my dad she was not impressed...which really surprises me...he was very nice looking...he could and STILL can dance....he is petite...I think that is what she didn't like...

My dad spent lots of money on my mom...this hooked her...only for her to later find out he was borrowing from my Aunt Bea to "court" my mom like this....

They dated for several months...decided to get married....the next week they went to the court house and got married with my Aunt Bea and Uncle Valmer as their witnesses...

My mom got pregnant right away...she always was told with all the polio treatments that she wouldn't be able to have kids....this would be why her former boyfriends parents made him break up with her...he became a raging alcoholic and was married about 5 times....lucky break for my mom...whew...

Their first baby was a boy...Jeffrey John...he was born early and passed away after 3 weeks..soon after came my sister..Tammy...than came me...

My parents always made sure that we had what we needed...not what we wanted...my sister and I are so lucky to have them as parents....

I really saw just how much my parents love each other a few years ago when my mom almost passed away...they have a nice relationship...they are friends and in love....

Happy 48 years.....

2 comments:

Amy said...

Very sweet and sincere! I hope your parents have a great anniversary.

Holli Bain said...

What a beautiful story! I hope all is well for the Saad Family. When are you coming home? When's your due date again? Curious. Tell your parents congratulations. 48 years is Huge! Scott and I joked this past year as we celebrated a big party for my inlaws at 50 that we'll be lucky to be alive when we hit 50 because we met so late. Congrats to them.

Holli